Sexpo advert pulled
Mon, 21 Feb 2011 8:37 AMA racy poster used to advertise the Cape Town Sexpo in November last year will never be used again, ASA said on Wednesday.
"The advertiser undertook to never use this advertisement again," said Leon Grobler of the Advertising Standards Authority.
Sarah Howarth, a spokesperson for Sexpo, confirmed this saying that as the 2010 campaign was over, it would definitely not be used again. She also pointed out that the 2010 campaign had been checked with the ASA before going public.
Complaints against the racy poster were lodged with ASA by eight people after posters depicting the upper body of a woman showing her breasts that are provocatively covered by red suspenders were erected in Cape Town.
Those who lodged the complaint argued that the advert depicted women as sex objects and it was demeaning to women in general. The ASA website said that some complainants said that the poster was erected near schools and was not suitable for children to view.
ChristianView Network director Philip Rosenthal said the ruling meant public places would be protected from pornography.
“It is a significant step to protect of women and children from the sexploitation industry promoted by the Sexpo," he said.
Grobler thanked all people who submitted complaints to the ASA.
"ChristianView Network campaigned against this Sexpo advert last year, as it has done with similar public pornography in the past and will continue to fight against anything similar in future."
Howarth said that Sexpo's growing popularity means that its campaigns will take on a sexy, fun and elegant feel in 2011, taking into consideration the sensitivity and concerns of the public.
Sapa
Comments
Please Note
By commenting on this article, you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions of the iafrica.com comments system.