If you're planning on taking that special someone out on a first date but haven't been in the dating game for a while, let us remind you of the first date code of conduct you should follow if you're keen on making that second date a reality.
On the other hand, if your date is really turning out to be a bore, follow these pointers to ensure their number will never light up your mobile's screen again.
- Don't bring up your sordid and sad stories about your ex. Talking about your past relationships with her is right up there with watching paint dry.
- Do not forget your wallet. Sure the sexes are equal these days, but you'll look like a right twit if you don't at least offer.
- Don't bring up your obsession with serial killers or even hint at how many hearts you've eaten. It's honestly not appealing.
- Don't brag about your collection of 5000 PS3 games unless you met her at the annual gaming expo. Seriously.
- Similarly, she does not care about your obsession with rugby, football, cricket or kite-surfing. Please, please don't suggest that she comes along with you the next time you take part in any of these sports either. This is not a second date option.
- Don't go along on your first date without having a quick shower beforehand and putting on some deodorant.
- Also, brush your teeth or if you can't get to your toothbrush, at least chew a mint.
- Don't buy her a bouquet of roses or chocolates - honestly, that only happens in the cheesiest Hollywood movies.
- Don't call her 'My girl' or 'Poppet' or anything that might even vaguely come across as derogatory or cheap.
- Do not forget her name.
- Don't propose to her. You might believe in love at first sight but keep that to yourself until you're absolutely certain you've secured a second date.
- Don't buy tickets to the latest Twilight movie, even if she's a big fan. It just sends the wrong message to her, like 'Robert Pattinson is hotter than me'.
- Watch what she orders and order your meal accordingly. Don't go for the ribs dripping in BBQ sauce or the dish with so much garlic you could kill a vampire or worse, something that will give you gas?
- Don't bring a date along unless you met her at a Swingers party.
These are only some of the things you should avoid saying and doing when on your first date. Let us know if you have any more suggestions by leaving them in the comments section below.