Red meat and red wine is a classic pairing for a reason! The tannins in reds bond with and soften the protein of the meat, bringing out its savoury flavours and juiciness.
Drostdy Hof’s Merlot is a splendid example. Its soft berry succulence pairs superbly with chef Johan van Schalkwyk’s grilled beef fillet served with Mediterranean vegetables, tossed with feta and homemade dukkah.
Add some freshly ground salt and pepper to your fillet and watch how the wine's aromas and flavours come alive.
For the beef fillet:
2 x 200g beef fillet
40ml olive oil
Coarse black pepper
For the Mediterranean vegetables:
• 3 medium courgettes, sliced
• 2 medium red peppers, seeded and sliced into 2cm cubes
• 2 medium yellow peppers, seeded and sliced into 2cm cubes
• 2 medium green peppers, seeded and sliced into 2 cm cubes
• 3 medium aubergines, sliced into 2cm cubes
• 1 red onion, cut into chunks
• 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
• 50 ml olive oil
• Black pepper
• 200g Feta cheese, crumbed
For the dukkah:
• 280g almonds, flaked
• 260g hazelnuts
• 10g cumin
• 50g sesame seeds
• 10g coriander seeds
For the dukkah
• Place the almonds, hazelnuts, cumin, sesame seeds and coriander seeds into a dry pan and heat for 3 minutes to release the spice flavours.
• Remove from the pan and place in a blender/use a mortar and pestle to grind until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
• Left-overs can be stored in an airtight container or frozen for later use.
• For the Mediterranean vegetables
• Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
• Place chopped courgettes, peppers, aubergines, onions and garlic in a roasting pan and drizzle the olive oil over.
• Roast for approximately 35 minutes or until all vegetables are tender and start to turn brown.
• Toss the vegetables with 3 tablespoons of dukkah and top with the feta cheese.
• For the beef fillet
• Rub with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
• Grill on a hot griddle pan until done to your liking (for medium-grilled fillets, do 3 minutes on each side.)
• Remove from heat, cover with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
• Serve with vegetables and your glass of Drostdy Hof Merlot.