No Easter holiday is complete without hot cross buns. Enjoyed hot out the oven, or with butter, or even cheese, South Africans love indulging in these traditional treats.
Sasko Flour loves the holidays as families gather to spend time together - often in the kitchen baking family recipes.
This mouth-watering recipe from Sasko Flour is an old favourite that is so easy to bake, there’s no need to head out to the store. And your family will think you’ve been hiding a famous chef in the kitchen.
Sasko flour hot cross bun recipe:
• 850 g Sasko Cake Wheat Flour
• 1 ½ cups of icing sugar
• 150 g of softened butter
• 2 tbsp baking powder
• 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda,
• 1 egg (large)
• 60 ml seedless raisins/ cake mix
• 500 ml milk
• 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
Ingredients for the cross:
• 1 cup of Sasko Cake Wheat Flour
• 1 tbsp butter
• 180 ml warm water
Ingredients for the glaze:
• 1 egg (large), 50 ml Apricot jam
• 100 ml water
• Preheat the oven to 180°C.
• In a bowl, sift together SASKO Cake Wheat Flour, icing sugar, ground cinnamon and baking powder.
• In a separate bowl, beat milk and egg together, then add the raisins and bicarbonate of soda.
• Add butter to the dry ingredients and mix together with your fingers until you have fine crumbs.
• Slowly, add some of the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix the dough. Be cautious not to overmix though, the dough must have a soft but firm texture.
• With a rolling pin, gently roll the dough until it’s approximately 4cm thick. Press the buns out with a round cookie cutter and place them close together on a well greased baking sheet.
• Sift Sasko Cake Wheat Flour and add the butter. Rub the mixture together with your fingers until the texture is that of fine crumbs.
• Add warm water in small amounts until the dough has a mushy consistency.
• Mix well to create smooth dough.
• Place the mixture into a piping bag and pipe thin crosses onto the buns.
• Pop them into your preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes until golden brown.
• Heat water and the apricot jam until well mixed.
• Once the Hot Cross Buns have finished baking, remove from oven.
• Brush syrup over the buns and serve warm.