A Cape Town restaurant has made it onto the list of 2016 world’s Best Restaurant Awards and been named as the Best Restaurant in Africa.
The Test Kitchen was awarded the 22nd place at the restaurants award ceremony that was held at the Cipriani Wall Street, in New York City.
Chef-owner Luke Dale-Roberts said: “The award is an incredible vote of confidence for me and my team. I do what I love, with precision and artistry, and being awarded for this validates what I do every day!”
The Test Kitchen provides a showcase experience where Dale-Roberts applies his expert technique, passion for true flavour and international inspiration in the creation of challenging and rewarding dishes.
This is the fourth year in which The Test Kitchen has featured in The World’s 50 Best Restaurant Awards.
The first feature was in 2013, where it received the Cacao Barry One to Watch Award.
The Test Kitchen has since climbed steadily from no.61 in 2013, moving to no.48 in 2014 and then making a jump to no.28 in 2015.
In addition, the restaurant was also the 2013, 2014 and 2015 Winner of Continental Restaurant Awards: Best Restaurant in Africa at The World’s 50 Best Restaurants.
The Test Kitchen has received numerous awards, both local and international since opening its doors at the end of 2010.
It was named in the Elite Traveler Top 100 Restaurants 2015. And locally it has been named Restaurant of the Year from 2012 to 2015 by the Eat Out Mercedes-Benz Restaurant Awards and received Two Plates in the new South African JHP Gourmet Guide.
The Test Kitchen will close for mid-August for a full décor refurbishment where the entire space will be reconsidered as a whole.
"It will be smaller, more intimate, and we will only do dinners there. It's time to redefine this creative space, which has always been my focus in terms of creating the most flavourful, exciting and challenging food."
After its reopening on 4 October, guests can expect a whole new The Test Kitchen experience.
"We are constantly innovating and refining the food according to our Test Kitchen philosophy," Dale-Roberts explained.
Here’s the full list:
• 1. Osteria Francescana, Modena, Italy
• 2. El Celler de Can Roca, Girona, Spain
• 3. Eleven Madison Park, New York City
• 4. Central, Lima
• 5. Noma, Copenhagen
• 6. Mirazur, Menton, France
• 7. Mugaritz, San Sebastian, Spain
• 8. Narisawa, Tokyo, Japan
• 9. Steirereck, Vienna
• 10. Asador Etxebarri, Biscay, Spain
• 11. D.O.M., Sao Paulo, Brazil
• 12. Quintonil, Mexico City
• 13. Maido, Lima
• 14. Ledbury , London
• 15. Alinea, Chicago
• 16. Azurmendi, Near Bilbao, Spain
• 17. Piazza Duomo, Alba, Italy
• 18. White Rabbit, Moscow
• 19. Arpege, Paris
• 20. Amber, Hong Kong
• 21. Arzak, San Sebastian, Spain
• 22. The Test Kitchen, Cape Town, South Africa
• 23. Gaggan, Bangkok
• 24. Le Bernardin, New York City
• 25. Pujol, Mexico City
• 26. Clove Club, London
• 27. Saison, San Francisco
• 28. Geraniu, Copenhagen, Denmark
• 29. Tickets, Barcelona
• 30. Astrid y Gaston, Lima
• 31. Nihonryori RyuGin, Tokyo
• 32. Restaurant Andre, Singapore
• 33. Attica, Melbourne, Australia
• 34. Restaurant Tim Raue, Berlin, Germany
• 35. Vendome, Bergisch Gladbach, Germany
• 36. Borago , Santiago
• 37. Nahm, Bangkok
• 38. De Librije, Zwolle, Netherlands
• 39. Le Calandre, Padua, Italy
• 40. Relae, Copenhagen
• 41. Faviken, Jarpen, Sweden
• 42. Ultraviolet, Shanghai, China
• 43. Biko, Mexico City
• 44. Estela, New York
• 45. Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, London
• 46. Combal.Zero, Rivoli, Italy
• 47. Schloss Schauenstein, Furstenau, Switzerland
• 48. Blue Hill at Stone Barns, New York
• 49. Quique Dacosta, Denia, Spain
• 50. Septime, Paris