September is Heart Awareness Month and the Heart and Stroke Foundation encourages everyone to "Have Heart" by getting a blood pressure test done as well as eating a heathy diet and living a healthy lifestyle.
To help you with that, we have a sweetcorn fritter recipe by Heleen Meyer from Cooking from the Heart 2 with Pharma Dynamics.
These are a delicious family treat – the kids will beg for more.
• ½ x 410 g tin whole kernel corn, drained
• 1 x 410 g tin cream style sweetcorn
• 1 cup (250 ml) wholewheat flour
• ½ tsp (2,5 ml) baking powder
• 1 egg, beaten
• ½ cup (125 ml) low-fat or fat-free milk
• 1 tsp (5 ml) ground mixed spice
• ½ small onion, finely chopped or grated
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) sunflower oil
1. Mix all the ingredients, except the oil, together in a large bowl.
2. Heat a thin layer of the oil in a frying pan. Add tablespoonfuls of the mixture to the pan and fry on both sides until golden brown. Repeat with the rest of the oil and mixture.
3. Drain on paper towel and serve warm as a side dish.
1. Pumpkin fritters: Substitute kernel corn and sweetcorn for 2-3 cups cooked and mashed pumpkin or butternut. Fry as above.
2. Mixed veggie fritters: Replace the kernel corn with 1 carrot and 1 baby marrow, grated. Fry as above.
3. Any left-overs are ideal for lunch the next day. Kids will love them as a snack in their lunch-boxes.
For more information, contact the Heart and Stroke Health Line on 0860 1 HEART (43278) or email email@example.com or HeartStrokeSA on Facebook and @SAHeartStroke on Twitter.